Hi all! This week we’re discussing the following readings:
- Raftery, Adrian E., and Michael Hout. 1993. “Maximally Maintained Inequality: Educational Stratiﬁcation in Ireland.” Sociology of Education, 66, 1: 41-62.
- Lucas, Samuel. 2001. “Effectively Maintained Inequality: Education Transitions, Track Mobility, and Social Background Effects.” American Journal of Sociology 106:1642-90.
Carefully go over my PowerPoint presentation with voiceover where I explain important ideas and concepts covered in the readings. (To listen to the voiceover you need to go to presentation mode)
Watch Michael Hout (one of the author’s of the author’s of the MMI paper) talk about the slowdown in Higher Education.
Lecture Posts Questions:
On the comments section below, address the following questions (answers should be at least 100 words in length and posted by Sunday – This is how participation points are assessed (worth 30% of your final grade!) Please save your comments in a safe document before attempting to post it.
- From my PowerPoint presentation, what still isn’t very clear? Any questions, thoughts or comments you would like to share?
- From the Raftery and Hout (1993) reading are all concepts and ideas clear?
- From the Lucas (2001) reading are all concepts and ideas clear?
- Summarize the main takeaways from the video.