Hi all! This week we’re discussing the following readings:
- Chabbott, Colette. Ramirez, Francisco O. 2006. “Chapter 7 – Development and Education.” In: Sociology of Education at the Threshold of the Twenty-first Century, edited by Maureen T. Hallinan. 163 – 188
- World Development Report 2018: Learning to Realize Education’s Promise Published: October 2017. Washington, DC: World Bank (Chapter 1: Schooling, learning, and the promise of education: Pages: 37 – 54)
Carefully go over my PowerPoint presentation with voiceover where I explain important ideas and concepts covered in the readings. (To listen to the voiceover you need to go to presentation mode)
Watch the video below that explores “the history of education as a social institution, with a specific focus on how the US organizes its educational system.”
Lecture Posts Questions:
On the comments section below, address the following questions (answers should be at least 100 words in length and posted by Sunday – This is how participation points are assessed (worth 30% of your final grade!) Please save your comments in a safe document before attempting to post it.
- From my PowerPoint presentation, what still isn’t very clear? Any questions, thoughts or comments you would like to share?
- From the Chabbott and Ramirez (2006) reading do you have any questions or comments?
- From the World Development Report 2018 do you have any questions or comments?
- Summarize the main takeaways from the video.