Hi all! This week we’re discussing the following reading:
- Narayan, Ambar, Roy Van der Weide, et al. 2018. “Fair Progress? Economic Mobility across Generations around the World.” Washington, DC: World Bank (Overview: pages 1 – 43)
Carefully go over my PowerPoint presentation with voiceover where I explain important ideas and concepts covered in the readings. (To listen to the voiceover you need to go to presentation mode)
Watch the video below where Professor Raj Chetty explores current trends in social mobility:
Finally, watch the crash course video below that summarizes various important issues discussed in the PowerPoint presentation (but with much better graphics!)
Here are a few links that I mentioned in the PowerPoint presentation that you might find interesting to explore further:
- The interactive chart for Global Income can be found at the end of this page (you can select specific countries of interest and see how they compare to other countries): https://income-inequality.info
- In this site you can find more of Raj Chetty’s research and reports on socioeconomic opportunities: https://opportunityinsights.org/
- Miles Corak’s website is also a great source of information on social mobility research. Specifically HERE you can read more on the Canadian vs American dream
- HERE is the interactive chart and complete analysis from the New York Times on race and social mobility.
Lecture Posts Questions:
On the comments section below, address the following questions (answers should be at least 100 words in length and posted by Sunday – This is how participation points are assessed (worth 30% of your final grade!) Please save your comments in a safe document before attempting to post it.
- From my PowerPoint presentation, what still isn’t very clear? Any questions, thoughts or comments you would like to share?
- From the Fair Progress reading are all concepts, measurements and ideas clear?
- Summarize the main conclusions from the Raj Chetty video. Do you have any questions?
- Summarize the main takeaways from the crash course video. Are all concepts clear?