This week we’re discussing these two readings:
- Sen, Amartya. 1999. “Development as Freedom.” Oxford University Press: New York (Introduction and Chapter 1)
- Aber, J. Lawrence, Bennett, Neil G. Conley, Dalton C. Li, Jiali. 1997. The Effects of Poverty on Child Health and Development. Annual Review of Public Health. 18(1): 463-483
Carefully go over my PowerPoint presentation with voiceover where I explain important ideas and concepts covered in the readings. (To listen to the voiceover you need to go to presentation mode)
Watch this interview with Amartya Sen where he discusses the main ideas in the book:
Finally, watch the two videos below to think about the definitions of poverty in different societies:
Lecture Posts Questions:
On the comments section below, address the following questions (answers should be at least 100 words in length and posted by Sunday – This is how participation points are assessed (worth 30% of your final grade!) Please save your comments in a safe document before attempting to post it.
- From my PowerPoint presentation, what isn’t clear? Any thoughts or comments you would like to share?
- From the reading, what is not clear? Any thoughts or comments you would like to share?
- Summarize the main takeaways from Sen’s interview? What are your thoughts on the issues discussed?
- Based on the two videos on child poverty, how is poverty different in the two societies shown? How do you think that this will impact individual and social development differently in both countries?